Author Topic: Books  (Read 133155 times)

Offline Wade Cable

• BADmini
  • Smells like Whiskey, looks like a Cabinet.
    • UD Profile
Re: Books
« Reply #1770 on: December 14, 2014, 07:59:11 PM »
Books! Yes, books!

https://storybundle.com/games has a deal on e-books, similar to Humble Bundle.

Welcome to StoryBundle! Due to popular demand, we're featuring The Video Game Bundle 1.0 Rewind, our very first Video Game bundle from early 2013 for an extremely limited time of one week! Many readers who enjoyed our subsequent Video Game bundles wanted us to feature the VG Bundle 1.0 again, and thanks to the generous authors, we were able to make it happen. But make sure to grab this bundle now, because it will never be available again. Keep in mind that some of these books aren't available anywhere else, so don't miss out!

Few of them seem really interesting, especially the Makings of Karateka and Prince of Persia.
Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

Offline raeleus

• Artist in Residence
  • BADMIN
  • Former grinder, smasher, terror of Highscores.
    • Ray3K
« Reply #1771 on: December 14, 2014, 11:05:49 PM »
Hah, I might actually get it for the Karateka one. I probably should have read that before making my game  :P Thanks for sharing.

Offline Wade Cable

• BADmini
    • UD Profile
« Reply #1772 on: December 15, 2014, 01:04:50 AM »
I knew you would want that. It's really good, and inspiring.

Offline Kevin Cox

• Director of E&E
  • BADMIN
  • Maverick Vet & High-Priest of Jeebus
    • UD Profile
« Reply #1773 on: March 13, 2015, 09:19:46 PM »
Oh my,

Absolutely gutted about the news of Terry Pratchett's passing, it was odd because I'd just started reading some of his older stuff again, finishing Thief of Time the day before he died.

Offline Keet

• All hail
  • The Chairman
    • UD Profile
« Reply #1774 on: March 14, 2015, 09:57:19 AM »
Yea, it sucks. Caught the news while reading a newspaper at my hotel this morning.

Bummer of a way to start the day...

“You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. We wish to improve ourselves. We will add your
biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.”
  -Locutus

Offline Boogie Bear

• Omnivore Extraordinaire
  • Stop reading this.
« Reply #1775 on: March 15, 2015, 01:44:42 AM »
I'm sad we lost him. But I'm glad he gave us so much before he left. More than SEVENTY books, and forty of them set in Discworld! I had no idea there were that many, so now I have a lot of catching up to do.

What's your favorite Pratchett novel? Mine is Reaper Man, I think, as I read it when I was twelve or so. It was the first of his that I'd come across, and I had never read so much humor in such a "cool" story before. BILL DOOR left quite a mark on me.

Boogie Bear: Forty pounds of dick in a five-pound bag.

Offline Wade Cable

• BADmini
    • UD Profile
« Reply #1776 on: March 15, 2015, 03:07:55 PM »
The last tweets from Pratchetts twitter account are sad, but appropriate. The assistant did a good job (I'd like to think that Terry planned it himself).

What's your favorite Pratchett novel? Mine is Reaper Man, I think, as I read it when I was twelve or so. It was the first of his that I'd come across, and I had never read so much humor in such a "cool" story before. BILL DOOR left quite a mark on me.

I think Reaper Man is my favorite too. It was the second Discworld novel I read, right after Mort, and still gives me the best laughs. Soul Music was fantastic too.

Offline Kevin Cox

• Director of E&E
  • BADMIN
    • UD Profile
« Reply #1777 on: March 16, 2015, 11:00:04 AM »
I'm led to believe that those last posts came from his daughter, Rihanna, who (among other things), wrote the last Tomb Raider game.

I've found it increasingly difficult to pick a favourite from the diskworld series as a whole, instead usually thinking in terms of my favourite Watch story, my favourite Lancre story etc. Wyrd Sisters always sticks in my mind as a great story though, although just recently Going Postal and Making Money have also made an impression.

Meanwhile, I've just started re-reading Unseen Academicals and am going through The Last Hero with Mini-Mav, who has already taken to the notions that Librarians should go "Ook" and have skin that looks three sizes to big for them.

Offline Building Maintenance

• BADmini
  • What a long strange road it's been........
« Reply #1778 on: May 11, 2015, 04:28:18 AM »
For reasons hard to explain, I've never read any of Pratchett's books. Upon his passing, I have started my way through the entirety of the Discworld series.

Reading Sourcery now.
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles." - Charles Chaplin

Offline Kevin Cox

• Director of E&E
  • BADMIN
    • UD Profile
« Reply #1779 on: May 11, 2015, 07:41:16 AM »
You have a long and amusing path in front of you. I've been starting to pick up the books I'd not got around to reading - Snuff was the last one I read.

Offline Building Maintenance

• BADmini
  • What a long strange road it's been........
« Reply #1780 on: May 11, 2015, 06:39:16 PM »
So far, I am greatly enjoying the books.  :thumbup:
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles." - Charles Chaplin

Offline Wade Cable

• BADmini
    • UD Profile
« Reply #1781 on: May 14, 2015, 04:10:28 AM »
After you've done with Discworld (and don't forget Good Omens, a collaboration with Neil Gaiman), you might like books by Robert Rankin. His humor is a bit darker and maybe more challenging, but I got hooked mostly because Pratchett himself said that Rankin is one of the few writers that can make him laugh.

In other news, I started a hunt to find the Discworld computer games. I tried the first one maybe 20 years ago and it was too difficult for me the, I think I could enjoy it more today. 

Offline Kevin Cox

• Director of E&E
  • BADMIN
    • UD Profile
« Reply #1782 on: May 14, 2015, 07:27:19 AM »
Rankin is good, a more challenging read for sure, very British and very clever. Sometimes a little more random than Pratchett though.