Author Topic: EVE Online  (Read 25963 times)

Offline Keet

• All hail
  • The Chairman
    • UD Profile
Re: EVE Online
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 12:04:18 AM »
Webdaddy

“You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. We wish to improve ourselves. We will add your
biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.”
  -Locutus

Offline blood panther

• Deputy disfigured muppet from hell and master of the 404: Forbidden!
  • BADmini
  • Baron Von Snugglemittens
    • http://www.urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=609870

Offline mutantarachnid

• Has trouble climbing out of baths.
    • My profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 05:55:31 AM »
It's a shame he was talking out of his sphincter for that one.  :frown:
He never even gave it a chance, he just stayed in high sec, the first week of EVE is boring. As you cannot do anything.
Well, one of my main guiding philosophies in a Mafia game is to always trust MutAr.

Vote: MutAr

Offline Odd Bob

• Zoo's Most Charming Man
  • BADMIN
    • http://namelesshorror.com/
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 06:25:35 AM »
I've never played EVE so I don't have a position of my own, but to be fair, in general no game worth its salt should ever take an entire week to get interesting or to allow you to do much.

Other games have the reverse problem, of course. City of Heroes did a brilliant job as dropping you straight in as an apparently whizzy brilliant superhero and let you beat up/set fire to evildoers. Unfortunately the later content was merely a copy of the earlier stuff just with different skins.

Offline mutantarachnid

• My profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 09:13:31 AM »
Okay I may have phrased that wrong, it is still interesting. Though you cannot do much. The vast majority of content has to be learnt and found out later.
Well, one of my main guiding philosophies in a Mafia game is to always trust MutAr.

Offline Keet

• All hail
  • The Chairman
    • UD Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 10:20:05 AM »
Since this is my first week, let me put it this way; Imagine you're visiting the Smithsonian, the first week of EVE would be the equivalent of stepping into the parking lot at the museum......

BTW - Thanks for the gift MA!  :thumbup:

“You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. We wish to improve ourselves. We will add your
biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.”
  -Locutus

Offline mutantarachnid

• My profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 10:24:16 AM »
No problem. I hope it helped! Even a small bit of cash goes a long way when you are just starting up.

Offline Trevillian

• Proud owner of he world's largest Malibu Stacey colection.
  • BADmini
  • The 1%
    • UD Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 11:45:03 PM »
AP,

I'm in Eve University, and they're a great bunch of people.  Very helpful, especially in the first few weeks when you're still trying to figure out which way north is.  They were having problems with having wars declared on them for a while, but they've set up a shield against future decs.  They have a very active corporation chat channel, and they'll answer any question, no matter how silly it sounds.

As far as the game being boring - well, different strokes for different folks.  If you want to fire up the game and go shoot things the first hour, it isn't the game for you.  I think CCP even goes as far as to tell you as much.  You won't be a badass in a week.  It takes a lot of patience, and there's a reason why the average age of subscribers is 27.  But the major difference is, you can do whatever you want.  As Odd Bob mentioned, most other games start with a bang, but then become a soul-crushing, repetitive grind.  You can choose to grind missions in Eve...or you could choose to never do one and still find plenty of things to do to occupy your time.  You'd still make money, gain XP and advance.

I've been playing for three months now, and I still am not sure which way I'm taking my character.  Every time I think I know what I want to concentrate on, something else appeals to me.
I play life in creative mode.

Offline mutantarachnid

• My profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 02:48:13 AM »
My 2005 character has only just started doing lvl 2 missions......... lol

I am out in 0.0 now though so lots of iskies to be had by me!

Offline Trevillian

• BADmini
  • The 1%
    • UD Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 02:52:23 AM »
I've been able to fly cruisers for over a month, but haven't run anything other than one Level 2 courier mission with them, because I knew my (lack of) drone skills would get me killed.

The trick isn't flying the ship...it's flying it WELL.

Offline mutantarachnid

• My profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 03:01:30 AM »
Indeed. I still don't own a BS for that reason, getting all the skills learnt first.

Offline Wade Cable

• BADmini
  • Smells like Whiskey, looks like a Cabinet.
    • UD Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 03:18:18 AM »
Based on your comments I'm starting to think about getting an account. I tried it long time ago, but then I didn't have money, time or a good computer.
Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

Offline mutantarachnid

• My profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2009, 03:53:52 AM »
http://evemon.battleclinic.com/

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=548883

Two very useful tools.

Continuing on my BS rant, it's gonna take me about 130+ days for me to be able to fly a Rokh and Raven to the standards I need them at........ Gay

Thats gonna start in 30 days time too as I am still learning stuff for my drake so I can get good DPS.

Offline Trevillian

• BADmini
  • The 1%
    • UD Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 04:03:27 AM »
I think Steam account holders get a 21-day trial.  There's also a referral program that MutAr or I could use...but I don't know much about it.

The key with starting in Eve is:
1. Don't get frustrated early.  The learning curve is wicked, and the game is immensely deep.  It took me at least a week to shake the "What the Canada am I doing?" feeling.  Even then, the Eve Universe has the habit of kicking your butt when you get complacent and think you know what you're doing...months into the game.
2. Find a new players group and stick with them until you feel confident.  I'm in Eve University, and beyond having someone around to answer questions and give advice, it's nice to have other people to work with - or back you up when you get in a jam.

Offline mutantarachnid

• My profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2009, 04:17:31 AM »
The buddy trial thing is a 21 day trial aswell. But better as it's not run through steam! alsoitgivesme30freedaysifyousubscribe

I've sent you a trial to your email that you have in your profile wade.

Also Trev, who was deccing EVE:U? lol
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 04:21:56 AM by mutantarachnid »