Author Topic: Container Passwords  (Read 2905 times)

Offline Keet

• All hail
  • The Chairman
    • UD Profile
Container Passwords
« on: March 09, 2009, 07:19:32 AM »
Does anyone know if it really makes a difference in how hard it is to break a password if it is simple or complicated? Example; "tree" compared to "42T9hfRR".

“You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. We wish to improve ourselves. We will add your
biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.”
  -Locutus

Offline Burnt Pies

• BurP of the Veterinarian Department
  • (UD) Veterinary Team
  • Resident Transvestite
    • The Kingdom of loathing!
Re: Container Passwords
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 12:19:47 AM »
well, it depends how determined your secure container stealing chap is. if he's really determined, got password hack software etc, It'll probably take him longer to get a complicated one, and a long, complicated one's even better. for instance, with tree, you've got 26C4 possible combinations, assuming you're only using lower case letters, which is what a password hack will presumably check first.

with 42T9hfRR, you've got 61C8 possible combinations, if not more for double letters etc, and although I'm too lazy to crunch numbers right now, there's gonna be ridiculous amounts of possible combinations from lower case, upper case and numerical characters. this means a Brute Force approach is gonna have to plow through hundreds of thousands of passwords, which will presumably give you time to notice and grab your stuff before it gets stolen.

Offline Trevillian

• Proud owner of he world's largest Malibu Stacey colection.
  • BADmini
  • The 1%
    • UD Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 12:45:22 AM »
But does the in-game hacking work that way?  In the game, you can - through a combination of skills and equipment - hack past passwords.

The basic reason for using giant secure containers is to deter can flippers.  A secondary concern, is someone who has the skills to get past the passwords and rob the can.  In that case, would using a longer password give them problems, or are the game mechanics set up to say "Hacking a giant secure canister with your skills takes 20 seconds" regardless of the complexity of the password.

My inclination, Keet, is to go simple.  The secure canisters deter flippers, and anyone who can hack the canisters will probably not stoop to the level of searching hi-sec systems to rob 3900m3 of ore.
I play life in creative mode.

Offline Burnt Pies

• BurP of the Veterinarian Department
  • (UD) Veterinary Team
  • Resident Transvestite
    • The Kingdom of loathing!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 01:00:39 AM »
I've got no idea if in game hacking tries to brute force your can open or anything... It'd be hard on those secure container flippers, but it would mean that secure containers are almost completely secure.

I'd be tempted to throw in a few numbers, just in case someone does try to get your can with random passwords.

Edit: having looked at the hacking thing on the EVElopedia, it seems to me that it's entirely PvE, and is used for getting blueprints etc out of specific exploration sites.