Author Topic: Ripped Off  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Keet

• All hail
  • The Chairman
    • UD Profile
Ripped Off
« on: April 26, 2009, 11:13:46 PM »
Well, almost. I was loading ore into a unsecure can when I noticed someone all of a sudden turn red. Come to find out this gal had taken what was in my can and transfered it into one she created.

Pretty clever. Use an alt to switch cans, then return with your main and load up. Which is exactly what I did to return the stuff to myself.

“You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. We wish to improve ourselves. We will add your
biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.”
  -Locutus

Offline mutantarachnid

• Has trouble climbing out of baths.
    • My profile
Re: Ripped Off
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 11:27:58 PM »
It's fun to try the opposite and purposefully bait ore theives with a pvp fitted item pertaining to the Bristol Stool Scale.
All you need is some mining drones and they go "OMG look at that noob using that [ship] for mining, I'll steal his stuff that'll teach him" "omg wtf he's killed me"  :yup:
Well, one of my main guiding philosophies in a Mafia game is to always trust MutAr.

Vote: MutAr

Offline Trevillian

• Proud owner of he world's largest Malibu Stacey colection.
  • BADmini
  • The 1%
    • UD Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 11:47:57 PM »
It's fun to try the opposite and purposefully bait ore theives with a pvp fitted item pertaining to the Bristol Stool Scale.
All you need is some mining drones and they go "OMG look at that noob using that [ship] for mining, I'll steal his stuff that'll teach him" "omg wtf he's killed me"  :yup:

I'm totally going to do this in the near future with my Thorax, once my blaster skills are good to go.  I'll have T2 drones by the middle of the week.
I play life in creative mode.

Offline Keet

• All hail
  • The Chairman
    • UD Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 12:00:14 AM »
Question;

When this gal turned blinking red, could I have blasted her or would that have brought down the wrath of Concord in a 0.6 area?

“You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. We wish to improve ourselves. We will add your
biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.”
  -Locutus

Offline Trevillian

• Proud owner of he world's largest Malibu Stacey colection.
  • BADmini
  • The 1%
    • UD Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 01:01:18 AM »
You could have blasted her, but once you shot, she would be free to return fire.

Concord would have stayed out of the way.

What she did is called "Can flipping".  Stealing from someone does not invoke the wrath of Concord, but it does give the victim the right to blow you out of the sky.  Once you attack them, you start blinking red to them.  So, can flipping is a way to start fights in Empire space.  In fact, flippers are usually less concerned about taking the ore, and more concerned about blowing you up.

What MutAr mentioned is baiting a flipper.  You fit a ship to deal massive amounts of damage in a short amount of time (for Gallente, this means a blaster boat, like the Thorax).  You put a couple mining drones on board, go out to a belt, and start jetcan mining with the drones.  When a flipper spots you mining in a Thorax, they may decide to flip you, thinking no way an experienced player would use a Thorax to mine.  When they steal your ore, you cozy up to them real close, and open up with all guns blazing, laughing maniacally as you melt their ship into a blob of goo.
I play life in creative mode.

Offline mutantarachnid

• Has trouble climbing out of baths.
    • My profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 01:37:56 AM »
Sometimes though it can backfire drastically. My poor incursus was melted by a honeypot bestower with a nos and a t2 blaster. Bad times.
Well, one of my main guiding philosophies in a Mafia game is to always trust MutAr.

Vote: MutAr