Author Topic: Hauling (aka Space Trucking)  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Trevillian

• Proud owner of he world's largest Malibu Stacey colection.
  • BADmini
  • The 1%
    • UD Profile
Hauling (aka Space Trucking)
« on: May 14, 2009, 11:18:45 PM »
Yea, obviously not the most glamorous career field, but for some reason I enjoy it.  I thought it was getting be kind of dull until last night.

The contracts around Jita were somewhat picked over last night, until I saw a couple of contracts in the range of 1.5 mill for fairly simple trips.  I grabbed one from Nuken to Jita, and then picked up every contract on the route as well to augment my income.  Once I finished those six, I turned my attention to the other 1.5-ish contract I had accepted, and immediately began sweating bullets.  It was a 1 jump contract between two 1.0 systems.  1.5 million ISK with a 500 million collateral.  The more I looked into it, the more it screamed suicide gank setup.  So, I fit an Atron (fastest ship I can fly, I think) with a couple warp stabilizers and an AB and went to the pickup spot.  My heart was thumping out of my chest once I undocked.

That's as exciting as it gets.  It was less than an hour before the server shut down for the update, and I can only assume if it was a setup, the crew that was there to do it had logged for the night, or the contract was legit but overinsured (it was a bunch of rocks and two cruiser BPOs, 200 mill would have covered the loss).  I made the trip, and left myself enough time to drive my Ity IV all the way to Rens to complete a 5 million contract.   :yess:

Even the most mundane tasks in this game can get the blood pumping.
I play life in creative mode.

Offline Burnt Pies

• BurP of the Veterinarian Department
  • (UD) Veterinary Team
  • Resident Transvestite
    • The Kingdom of loathing!
Re: Hauling (aka Space Trucking)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 02:32:46 AM »
If it was a setup, they'll be feeling a bit silly about losing that 1.5 million.

Offline Trevillian

• BADmini
  • The 1%
    • UD Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 03:43:05 AM »
Not really.  Just set up another contract reversing it.  If they can succeed in nailing the ship before Concord kills them, it's 500 million to them.

Offline Trevillian

• BADmini
  • The 1%
    • UD Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 11:42:32 PM »
Scuse me while I do the "I has an Iteron V" dance.

Only downside is that when you accept contracts to haul over 20,000 m3, there's a popup that basically says "You know you need a Freighter for this, right?"  Ity V with a full set of cargo expander IIs can haul 25,000+ m3.  If you rig it, it can haul even more, but I'm hesitant to add 75 million ISK worth of rigs to a 4 million ISK ship.

Offline Burnt Pies

• BurP of the Veterinarian Department
  • (UD) Veterinary Team
  • Resident Transvestite
    • The Kingdom of loathing!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 01:02:16 AM »
That Iteron V has some good space in it...

Offline Keet

• All hail
  • The Chairman
    • UD Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 08:09:54 AM »
Scuse me while I do the "I has an Iteron V" dance.

Only downside is that when you accept contracts to haul over 20,000 m3, there's a popup that basically says "You know you need a Freighter for this, right?"  Ity V with a full set of cargo expander IIs can haul 25,000+ m3.  If you rig it, it can haul even more, but I'm hesitant to add 75 million ISK worth of rigs to a 4 million ISK ship.

I did my dance last week. I just started my freighter training, however at 850,000,000 isk for a freighter, I don't see myself flying one too soon.... :frown:

“You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. We wish to improve ourselves. We will add your
biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.”
  -Locutus

Offline Trevillian

• BADmini
  • The 1%
    • UD Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 10:15:26 PM »
Yea, I modified my training queue on account of the skills needed to fly a freighter.

I'm working on a lot of skills that will help me fly hauling trips better.  So Evasive Mauevering, Navigation, and Spaceship Command - they all increase speed or decrease align time.  I'll hit a few capacitor related skills, get Standard Core Competency, and then move on to Transport Ships.

The big money in hauling is delivering stuff to and from low-sec space.  The pilots with low security ratings either can't get their goods to a market where people will buy them, or they cannot pick up the supplies they need without Concord lobbing stuff at them.  Having a Blockade Runner and Deep Space Transport at my disposal will make those trips a little less nerve wracking.  For the most part, those trips are as safe as any other (last night I was in two 0.4 systems where I was the only pilot there)

After that I'm going for Interceptors, with an eye on running low volume, high-risk trips with an Ares. (13.5 AU/sec warp speed FTW)

After all of that, I may get to Freighters, but Covert Ops and Force Recon Ships are also possibilities for hauling trips.  My current skill queue in EVEMon is over a year long.

Offline mutantarachnid

• Has trouble climbing out of baths.
    • My profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 10:25:28 PM »
I haven't played for a few months now. Been busy with L4D and exams.
12 days to go until large hybrid turret 5 has finished! My rokh will be unstoppable.

Glad to see you are enjoying hauling so much. I've never really gotten into it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 10:28:15 PM by Mutantarachnid »
Well, one of my main guiding philosophies in a Mafia game is to always trust MutAr.

Vote: MutAr

Offline Trevillian

• BADmini
  • The 1%
    • UD Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 11:22:11 PM »
You know, 90% of the time it's mundane, although there's always a thrill when you've pulled a 3-5 million ISK trip out of a low-sec system and have nothing but hi-sec systems to go through to deliver.

A few weeks ago, I ran my most dangerous trip, through multiple low-sec systems.  One of the boxes I was hauling was a Minmatar Control Tower (400 million collateral).  A ne'er do well with a -9.9 security rating pulled up to a stargate and tried to target me right as I went into warp.  He chased me for a few jumps, but an industrial warps at 4.5, and I guess he was only warping at 3.0, because he was falling further and further behind with each jump.  I was very lucky he didn't pull up to the gate two seconds earlier.

Offline mutantarachnid

• Has trouble climbing out of baths.
    • My profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 12:04:52 AM »
Or had a a friend with him. One day I may join you for a run in a thorax or something in low sec.
Well, one of my main guiding philosophies in a Mafia game is to always trust MutAr.

Vote: MutAr