Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 92128 times)

Offline Keet

• All hail
  • The Chairman
    • UD Profile
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #990 on: September 16, 2014, 08:18:32 AM »
I don't blame Notch one bit. $2.5 b? Really? That's more money than the GNP of some countries!

No, I don't blame him at all!

“You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. We wish to improve ourselves. We will add your
biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.”
  -Locutus

Offline Kevin Cox

• Director of E&E
  • BADMIN
  • Maverick Vet & High-Priest of Jeebus
    • UD Profile
« Reply #991 on: September 16, 2014, 10:08:24 AM »
In general terms, when it comes to Game development MS have been a bit hit and miss, but with a property like Minecraft I feel they'll continue to do it service, especially as they already have the developers of the XBox version to tap into if there is a drift from Mojang. They may not have the track record for innovation, but the 360 version was pretty effective. Plus when it comes to games, MS have been pretty good at ongoing support for their popular releases, although I wonder how long it will take to see a micropayment system drop into place and what it could apply to.

Offline Suho

• (UD) Zookeeper
    • Liminality
« Reply #992 on: September 16, 2014, 10:44:14 AM »
Feels kind of weird that I saw this news on CNN this morning before I had the chance to plug myself into the intarwebs.

I must admit that I was a bit shocked when the news first hit the tubes. But I've thought about it, and I don't think this is necessarily the end of the world. MS paid that much money because they expect MC to continue making them money, which means that it is in their best interest for it to continue succeeding. That much is obvious. The real question, I suppose, is will MS pull their usual committee-driven idiocy and shoot themselves in the foot here.

In my mind, the end of development on Minecraft is not the worst possible outcome. In fact, I think it is the best possible outcome. Hear me out for a moment. I've said before that I just want to see a finished game, and this is truly how I feel. I don't want more features. I would like to see features that are not yet finished brought to completion, of course, but I'm honestly a little tired of new features being added before previously-added features have even been finished (in the sense that they a) work properly and b) have reached their logical conclusion--for example, doors and fences now being craftable from different types of wood). I would be perfectly happy if we saw no new features, but instead got completed features and bug squashing until the game resembled something that is actually finished. The current cycle of development means that we are constantly playing an unfinished game, and, while that has not significantly diminished my enjoyment, it does prove to be the occasional nuisance. And think of what a finished game would mean--all those mods that are always one step behind the current version? Everything would be caught up, and the mods could actually start pushing ahead without having to worry about compatibility issues.

So, for me, the end of development would not be the worst possible outcome--that would be continued development with the addition of micropayments for each update. Never mind what we are "entitled to" as players. Introducing payments like this would immediately begin to segregate the community into those who are willing and able to pay for updates and those who are not. And I suspect we would lose a lot of the community (granted, there are certain sections of the community I wouldn't mind losing). I don't think MS will do this, but it is my greatest fear.

BM and I were discussing this last Saturday, and we both agreed that MC is the best money we've ever spent on a game. Whatever happens in the future, I've definitely gotten my money's worth. With any luck, MS will mean more of that in the future.

Offline Building Maintenance

• BADmini
  • What a long strange road it's been........
« Reply #993 on: September 16, 2014, 06:56:43 PM »
I'll just keep playing until it becomes unplayable or I hate what they've done to it.  :shrug:
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles." - Charles Chaplin

Offline Wade Cable

• BADmini
  • Smells like Whiskey, looks like a Cabinet.
    • UD Profile
« Reply #994 on: September 16, 2014, 10:16:43 PM »
Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

• BADmini
« Reply #995 on: September 17, 2014, 05:54:09 AM »
 :funny:
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles." - Charles Chaplin

Offline VonBraun

• Minecraft
« Reply #996 on: September 17, 2014, 06:30:02 AM »
I think it is an awesome example of capitalism. Go Notch! I hope he invests the money in the next something awesome like Elon Musk did with his PayPal fortunes.

Cyberdyne Systems here we come! With creepers of course.

Like BM, I'll play until I hate it and move on, but not before buying beers for everyone here of course.

• BADmini
« Reply #997 on: September 17, 2014, 07:23:44 PM »
BEER!  :yess:

Offline Keet

• All hail
  • The Chairman
    • UD Profile
« Reply #998 on: October 15, 2014, 08:36:56 AM »
Find some creative inspiration with the purchase of a used book;

“You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. We wish to improve ourselves. We will add your
  -Locutus

Offline Suho

• (UD) Zookeeper
    • Liminality
« Reply #999 on: October 15, 2014, 11:42:16 AM »
Awesome!

I can relate to this; I'm always seeing stuff in the real world and thinking, "I have to build that in Minecraft."

Now if only I had the time....

Offline Keet

• All hail
  • The Chairman
    • UD Profile
« Reply #1000 on: October 15, 2014, 09:36:30 PM »
Time is the one item I seem to have less of the older I get.....  :sadnod:

-Locutus

Offline Uroguy

• (UD) Senior Zookeeper
    • UD Profile
« Reply #1001 on: October 16, 2014, 06:00:49 AM »
Only 2 years to build Midgar: http://kotaku.com/it-took-two-years-to-make-final-fantasy-viis-midgar-in-1646101163

He's got good taste in games though.

Offline Suho

• (UD) Zookeeper
    • Liminality
« Reply #1002 on: October 16, 2014, 11:26:53 AM »
^Talk about having time...

Time is the one item I seem to have less of the older I get.....  :sadnod:

I've found that the amount of time I have is inversely proportional to the amount of money I have. Back when I had oodles of time, I was broke. Now that I am no longer broke, time doesn't seem to be interested in hanging out with me anymore.

Offline Keet

• All hail
  • The Chairman
    • UD Profile
« Reply #1003 on: October 17, 2014, 10:14:11 AM »
I know that situation all too well....  :sadnod:

-Locutus

Offline vgcatsfan

• (UD) Veterinary Team
  • why can't i chose a avatar?
    • http://urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=661715
« Reply #1004 on: October 20, 2014, 12:02:23 AM »
don't we all know that.
minecraft mod fanatic. name is vgcatsfan.