Author Topic: Last night's fun.  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Trevillian

• Proud owner of he world's largest Malibu Stacey colection.
  • BADmini
  • The 1%
    • UD Profile
I play life in creative mode.

Offline Keet

• All hail
  • The Chairman
    • UD Profile
Re: Last night's fun.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 07:56:54 AM »
Ouch! So what happened?

“You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. We wish to improve ourselves. We will add your
biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.”
  -Locutus

Offline Trevillian

• BADmini
  • The 1%
    • UD Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 08:59:58 PM »
Long story, but it's a good one.

The alliance my corp is in is allied with the Goons, basically as a self-preservation measure so we can hold onto our crappy space in Pure Blind, since the Goons could throw us out at any time with their size.  The Goons and their allies are fighting an alliance named Pandemic Legion which has no space of their own, but is set up in a pocket of NPC space on our doorstep.

Basically, the rule is - if the Goon Fleet Commanders call an operation and you can go, you go.  So the Goons called a bomber op, and I can fly a stealth bomber, so I went.  We fly around for a bit, find a couple orphaned HACs and pop them before we end up flying through another fleet of HACs.  Three of them took me out.

I went back to the GOON staging system where I had the ship you see in that KillMail.  It's known as a "WelpCane".  It's a cheap fit Hurricane designed to combat capital and supercapital ships.  The Goons and allies field fleets of 100 or more of them, with the idea of using the neuts to drain the capital ships capacitor, while gunning away at the ship.

So, I catch up with the fleet I was in, which has engaged a PL carrier that was, in hindsight, bait.  Once we were surrounding it, PL drops, no kidding, eleven Titans on top of us.  The carrier was bubbled by our guys, so we can't warp off, we have to burn out of the bubbles and warp.  As I'm burning out of the bubble, that Erebus lights me up with its Doomsday.  By the way, the doomsday weapon looks a whole lot more impressive when you're watching from distance.  When you're in the ship being smoted, it doesn't render very well.  Still, it's a bit of an honor to be on the receiving end of that weapon, even if firing it at a Battlecruiser is generally thought of as a waste.

Now, the problem for PL is that they just jumped their supercapital fleet into a bunch of bubbles.  Their Titans are stuck, and the GOONS and their allies are calling everyone they can reach to get online and bring Hurricanes and Interdictors.  The goal is to keep at least one Titan bubbled and destroy it.

I took my pod back to the GOONS staging system, bought a new Hurricane, and jumped back into the fray via a Titan jump bridge in a new fleet.  We've got an Avatar bubbled, and are pounded away at it.  The next ten minutes are absolute chaos.  You've got the GOONS bringing every high damage ship, heavy interdictor and interdictor they can find to try to keep the Titan bubbled and kill it.  Then you have Pandemic Legion with carriers desperately repairing their trapped Titan, Stealth Bombers firing bombs at their own Titan in hopes of killing the bubbles holding it in place, and sniper fit battleships trying to pick off the interdictors.

Finally, the GOON coalition runs out of people.  Too many of the interdictors get wiped out, and not enough damage dealt to the Titan in the meantime.  It warps off and gets safe.  The carriers were in Triage mode trying to save the Titan, so we blow them all up.

The happy ending, however, is that one of our scouts finds a PL mothership that has drifted outside its POS shield in system.  We warp in and kill it.  21 billion ISK kill.  Lots of fun, overall.  Reminds me that I need to get that Cane reimbursed.

Offline Keet

• All hail
  • The Chairman
    • UD Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 08:25:24 AM »
Wow! Sounds very complicated!

When you joined, you had mentioned you were lacking skill sets; what were they?

“You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. We wish to improve ourselves. We will add your
biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.”
  -Locutus

Offline Trevillian

• BADmini
  • The 1%
    • UD Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 04:44:24 AM »
Several things of note:

1) No one flies Gallente, in general, at the sub-cap level.  There are a few ships that slip into certain roles (Interceptors, Stealth bomber, Recon and Logistics) but the backbone of most large fleets are Minmatar or Amarr ships.
2) Projectile weapons are used almost exclusively.  The hybrid turrets have limited use.  Missile skills are also good to have.

Most of the large coalitions have fleet doctrines, fits they want to see in their fleets.  Typically, the fits require really good fitting skills, and the ability to fly Battlecruisers or Battleships of a particular race.  Even with that Hurricane, I'm flying a dumbed down version of it because I can't use T2 projectile guns yet.

With all of that in mind, there are some very basic fits for tackler frigates that are used, so pretty much anyone can participate within a week.  Having some of the skills I was lacking, however, broadens the scope of what you can do in a fleet.