Author Topic: Quarantine 2019  (Read 10369 times)

Offline Suho

• (UD) Zookeeper
    • Liminality
Re: Quarantine 2019
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 01:39:52 PM »
I've tried to bite a couple of our members and infect them, but despite getting quite a few shots at it, I have yet succeed. I am a smart zombie now, though, and I'm going to be working on my bite and infect skills, so hopefully I will be more effective in the future.

Offline Building Maintenance

• BADmini
  • What a long strange road it's been........
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 08:12:28 PM »
If you're looking to get back into zombie mode you can opt to stand near a friendly/group zombie and wait for them to bite you to death and hopefully infect you. Claws have 50% the success rate of bites for infecting so always bite people that are looking for a reinfect. Also any level of infect will help. With infect 3 the chances of infecting someone that stands with only 10AP and therefore only has 20GH (General Health) are pretty good. Do not stand up with more than 10AP as your GH will equal your HPs and any additional GH reduces your success rates of a reinfect.

My instincts were good then. Stayed with my friends, went with minimal health and was back to battering barricades in a day.
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles." - Charles Chaplin

Offline Uroguy

• UD Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 10:56:28 PM »
I've tried to bite a couple of our members and infect them, but despite getting quite a few shots at it, I have yet succeed. I am a smart zombie now, though, and I'm going to be working on my bite and infect skills, so hopefully I will be more effective in the future.

It's never guaranteed to infect although as a smart with infect 5 you'll have the highest chance in the game. If it doesn't work the first time, have the person stand up again if possible with 10 AP. It's annoying to them but it's free SP for the smart (or other zombie) which helps to feed the horde.

Offline Suho

• (UD) Zookeeper
    • Liminality
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 07:43:53 AM »
It's never guaranteed to infect although as a smart with infect 5 you'll have the highest chance in the game.

That is one of the reasons I decided to go smart. That and the door opening thing, which is proving extremely useful. Every EP cycle I stand up (having invariably been murdered by a harman), find a door, open it, and kill whoever is inside. Lots of SP to be had!

If it doesn't work the first time, have the person stand up again if possible with 10 AP. It's annoying to them but it's free SP for the smart (or other zombie) which helps to feed the horde.

Yep.  :yup:

Also, question: I see that there is a PKer flag you can toggle on your profile. What is the etiquette regarding zombies who do not want to be revived going around as a human and taking their revenge? Is this something that is frowned upon in Quarantine, or is it common practice? I ask because I'm afraid that the humans may try to revive me in order to eliminate me as a threat (since I am a smart zombie).

Offline Uroguy

• UD Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 10:59:33 AM »
PKing is very broken in Q. Basically no one activates their PK flag because you stop earning SP for anything as soon as you do. And the only people on your side (human/zombie) you can hit are others with a PK flag on. Basically unless you're screwing around after the round is over there's never a need for a PK flag. There are singular instances where it could be helpful, for example if you're EPed and you're about to be injected as a zombie you can turn on your PK flag and have your friend bite/claw you to death instead of getting injected.

Combat injecting is common nowadays it seems, there's been explicitly no rule against it throughout the history of the game. Griefing is not allowed but you'd have to go harass someone repeatedly throughout a round to be accused of that. You're not allowed to play against your team once injected so no debarricading doors, spying on locations or uninstalling generators or equipment. There is no specific rule against killing a zombie that someone's getting ready to inject, also combat healing a zombie to decrease their likelihood of getting reinfected (by raising their GH) is allowed.

Essentially there's tons of ways to do crappy and griefy things to others and get away with it and make it less fun for them to play. So it's important to keep a group of active people so you can help each other out.

Also realize that once the humans start being able to climb, which occurs about a week into the round or so, they start barricading doors which means the smart zombie door skill becomes less usable as everything is barricaded. The tendency to barricade comes along when there's more than one smart zombie as well. Also some people will accidentally/deliberately overbarricade buildings at the beginning of the round when no humans have climb skill which hurts the humans quite a bit but provides a bunch of failclimbed street food for zombies.

Offline Suho

• (UD) Zookeeper
    • Liminality
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 11:21:20 AM »
PKing is very broken in Q. Basically no one activates their PK flag because you stop earning SP for anything as soon as you do. And the only people on your side (human/zombie) you can hit are others with a PK flag on.

Ah, well that makes a huge difference. This is quite different from the way things were in UD.

Combat injecting is common nowadays it seems, there's been explicitly no rule against it throughout the history of the game. There is no specific rule against killing a zombie that someone's getting ready to inject, also combat healing a zombie to decrease their likelihood of getting reinfected (by raising their GH) is allowed.

In other words, these are tactics available to pink but not green. Question: It's been my impression so far that the game heavily favors the human side. I have yet to play a human, though, so I realize my judgment may be lopsided. Thoughts?

You're not allowed to play against your team once injected so no debarricading doors, spying on locations or uninstalling generators or equipment.

This is good to know--again, very different from UD.

Griefing is not allowed but you'd have to go harass someone repeatedly throughout a round to be accused of that.

By "griefing" you mean constantly targeting one individual on the opposing team? I've been having some back and forth with the local harmanz, and everyone seems to be taking it in stride.

Also realize that once the humans start being able to climb, which occurs about a week into the round or so, they start barricading doors which means the smart zombie door skill becomes less usable as everything is barricaded.

But it does not become completely useless, right? I mean, after breaking down the barricades you can still open the doors, yes?

Offline Uroguy

• UD Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 12:17:52 PM »
In other words, these are tactics available to pink but not green. Question: It's been my impression so far that the game heavily favors the human side. I have yet to play a human, though, so I realize my judgment may be lopsided. Thoughts?

By "griefing" you mean constantly targeting one individual on the opposing team? I've been having some back and forth with the local harmanz, and everyone seems to be taking it in stride.

But it does not become completely useless, right? I mean, after breaking down the barricades you can still open the doors, yes?

Yes, nearly all the game mechanics heavily favour the humans. The best tool the zombies have is human nature and the tendency to trenchcoat and people's tendencies to piss one another off.  One of the greatest advantages of the humans are their radios which allow instantaneous game-wide communication with every other person holding a radio.  One of the greatest advantages of the zombies are the humans radios because when people are themselves they invariably cause conflict which helps the zombies who have traditionally played in a far more cooperative manner due to the necessity of the game mechanics.

Winning as the humans requires engineers to rebuild, scientists to sample and everyone to kill/dump their kills (this is why combat injecting is actually a relatively complicated balance between slowing the zombie snowball down and inappropriately delaying scientists from attaining sufficient brain samples to finish researching cure). Cure processing is a huge, huge broken pain in the rectum where parallel processing is not efficient and basically you should just have one single processing computer processing samples in series. Also there are various bugs in cure that are highly abusable and have not been fixed for well over 2 years now.

If you're just going back and forth with someone trading kills/infects/injects that's not even close to griefing. Usually that requires you to send inappropriate messages, etc.  Basically anything you shouldn't be doing to someone else in any other game.

Yes the zombie skill is good as you can open a door and save the EP destroying the door to get inside. Conversely, traditional thinking has been once you're in you should destroy the door even if it's open so they have to spend the EP rebuilding the door before they can rebarricade. Realize that an EHR (120hps) door will require a strong power claw 5 zombie to solo. Smart zombies have a hard time with VSR (86hps) doors so you're best used in combination with a strong. There's also some semi-exploitable bugs in the door mechanics.

Offline Suho

• (UD) Zookeeper
    • Liminality
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 04:19:48 PM »
Wow, thanks for all that info! I think it helps a lot in terms of coming to grips with this game.

Yes, nearly all the game mechanics heavily favour the humans. The best tool the zombies have is human nature and the tendency to trenchcoat and people's tendencies to piss one another off.  One of the greatest advantages of the humans are their radios which allow instantaneous game-wide communication with every other person holding a radio.  One of the greatest advantages of the zombies are the humans radios because when people are themselves they invariably cause conflict which helps the zombies who have traditionally played in a far more cooperative manner due to the necessity of the game mechanics.

Interesting that the supposedly brainless creatures have a more coherent society.

If you're just going back and forth with someone trading kills/infects/injects that's not even close to griefing. Usually that requires you to send inappropriate messages, etc.  Basically anything you shouldn't be doing to someone else in any other game.

Cool. My own particular little feud has been accompanied by comments on the human side that I have found more amusing than anything else (example: "I do this because I love you!" right before killing me, which cracked me up.) I'm tempted to go for the zombie speech skill just so I can reply in kind.

Conversely, traditional thinking has been once you're in you should destroy the door even if it's open so they have to spend the EP rebuilding the door before they can rebarricade. Realize that an EHR (120hps) door will require a strong power claw 5 zombie to solo. Smart zombies have a hard time with VSR (86hps) doors so you're best used in combination with a strong. There's also some semi-exploitable bugs in the door mechanics.

That does make a certain kind of sense. Is the door any easier to destroy once you are inside? If not, I'm not sure what the difference would be from just bashing down the door from the outside.

Offline Uroguy

• UD Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 06:13:47 AM »
That does make a certain kind of sense. Is the door any easier to destroy once you are inside? If not, I'm not sure what the difference would be from just bashing down the door from the outside.

Doors are not any easier to destroy from the inside. However the most helpful thing is that once you're inside you won't appear on the game map. Stealth can be key so it's generally better to hide in lit buildings than ruins, especially after the first couple of days of the round. The two building types you generally want to stay out of are labs and hospitals/clinics because antidote can be found there which increases your possibility of someone searching some up to try to inject you. Basically anyone can use an injector, you need to class scientist to be good at it but any human can try.

Offline Suho

• (UD) Zookeeper
    • Liminality
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 11:57:49 AM »
Doors are not any easier to destroy from the inside. However the most helpful thing is that once you're inside you won't appear on the game map.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that.

Stealth can be key so it's generally better to hide in lit buildings than ruins, especially after the first couple of days of the round. The two building types you generally want to stay out of are labs and hospitals/clinics because antidote can be found there which increases your possibility of someone searching some up to try to inject you. Basically anyone can use an injector, you need to class scientist to be good at it but any human can try.

So, in other words, I got lucky when I tried to hide in that hospital. Fortunately I only got killed and dumped.

Offline Suho

• (UD) Zookeeper
    • Liminality
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 01:52:59 PM »
Uroguy, got a mechanics question for you. (Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for all the helpful info!)

As a smart zombie, I have access to Improved Infection Rank 4. Is it possible to buy this skill without buying Ranks 1-3 in the general skill set? And are these bonuses cumulative? It's not really clear in the game guide (the game guide doesn't even have an entry for Infection Rank 4). So the question is, when II4 says "2% chance of infection," does that mean 2% total, or +2% to your base percentage? If it's the former, and the bonuses are not cumulative, it would make sense to skip over Ranks 1-3 and go straight for Rank 4 (in fact, it would be a huge waste of SP not to). If it's the latter, and the bonuses are cumulative, then it would make sense to go through the ranks in order (and it would mean that you would have +42% chance of infection when you reached Rank 5).

[Edit: Ah, I just found the page on Improved Infection, along with information on how infection works in general. So I guess the question remains: can you skip over Ranks 1-3 and just go to Rank 4? I'm guessing not--if you can, that seems a bit broken.]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:11:54 PM by Suho »

Offline Uroguy

• UD Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 09:17:27 AM »
No you have to buy infect 1-3 to get access to infect 4. Also the max chance is 10% so it's an additive +2% to infect per level. Remember that's the chance of infecting with bite. Divide in half if you're clawing. As a smart zombie you're likely going to max bite and infect, also swallow flesh is really handy. You'll likely max those well before the round ends so I suggest taking claw skill to help with doors and such as well.

Offline Suho

• (UD) Zookeeper
    • Liminality
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 06:46:19 PM »
I am currently at intermediate claw--those were actually the first two skills I took, since most of what I was facing at the beginning of the round were inanimate objects. I then picked up all the bite skills before saving up to go smart. Since then I have taken swallow flesh (which, you're right, is very handy) and, early today, II1. Since taking that I've gotten two infections, bringing my total up to 5. I'm probably going to focus on the infection skills for the time being, as I'm still finding open doors here and there with tasty treats inside. I figure once the infection skills get more expensive than advanced claw, I'll go for that before going back to building up infection. Maybe grab digest flesh at some point as well, but so far that doesn't seem really necessary.

(The Game Guide on the site is boffed, but the way; I can't find any links that lead to the basic skills, a lot of links pop up code errors, etc. I once accidentally stumbled upon the game guide page for improved infection, but I don't know how to get back to it, since the search is broken, too.)

Offline Wade Cable

• BADmini
  • Smells like Whiskey, looks like a Cabinet.
    • UD Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 08:08:30 PM »
So did the round end? What happens now?
And I just leveled up to a Strong Zombie.
Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

Offline Uroguy

• UD Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2014, 10:03:15 AM »
I think it ended up a default win (100% repaired city) although I think it's also because he wanted to put the halloween map in play.

Now you can decide if you want to play another round. This was an extremely fast reset, usually you get at least a day's notice so you can screw around a bit, etc.